Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Billy Wagner is coming to the Red Sox on Thursday, now the only question is who leaves to make room for him? Here are some options.
1. Send Daniel Bard down to Pawtucket for a few days until the rosters expand. This would give Bard a chance to breathe a bit in AAA and possibly save the Red Sox some money in later arbitration years, but it weakens your bullpen in the meantime.
2. Dump Brad Penny. Penny could be released or DFA'd, as he has already been claimed and pulled back from revocable waivers this month. With Penny due to back-up Wakefield on Wednesday, this could be the move that gets made.
3. Option Tazawa back to Pawtucket. Tazawa has options, but who starts for him on Thursday? Probably not.
4. Put someone on the DL. Nick Green hasn't been playing alot lately, maybe he has a strained groin. Is Baldelli sore again? This could happen as well.
5. Enrique Gonzalez could be DFA'd and given the Billy Traber/Fernando Cabrera treatment.